$40 | $20 under 35 | $10 Students
Ghosts Everywhere I Go
Vijay Iyer has a penchant for imbuing impeccably crafted musical structures with layers of thoughtfulness and meaning. The MacArthur Genius fellow brings that same sensibility to this world premiere, inspired by the writings of poet, sociologist, comic book author, and University of Chicago professor Eve L. Ewing.
Eve L. Ewing writes: “I am interested in critically examining the world in which we live, asking questions about why it functions the way it does, and using imaginative work as a way of thinking through how it could be otherwise.” In this new collaboration, composer-pianist Vijay Iyer presents a suite of original music in dialogue with Prof. Ewing’s works — Ghosts in the Schoolyard, Electric Arches, 1919, and Marvel’s Ironheart — sounding out the unique, quintessentially Chicagoan balance of historical melancholy, critical intensity, and speculative exuberance in Ewing’s writing. Iyer convenes a special ensemble for the occasion, including former Chicagoans Nicole Mitchell (flute), Jeff Parker (guitar), and Joel Ross (vibraphone), along with bassist Nick Dunston, drummer Jeremy Dutton, and vocalists Eden Girma and Julian Otis, with texts by Prof. Ewing.
Supported by the Revada Foundation and the Harve A. Ferrill Concert Fund. Presented in partnership with Chicago Jazz Magazine, DownBeat, Jazz Institute of Chicago, and WDCB 90.9 FM.
Before purchasing tickets, please read our COVID-19 guidelines. The University of Chicago, including UChicago Presents, is mask optional. We strongly encourage unvaccinated individuals and those preferring to wear masks to do so. All visitors age 5 and older must provide one of the following:
- Proof of vaccination,
- -or- a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the event,
- -or- proof of a positive COVID-19 test within 14-90 days of the event with affirmation that you are not experiencing any symptoms,
- -or- a valid University of Chicago ID (UCID).
Proof of vaccination or COVID-19 test result can be provided:
- Digitally, using either a photo of the vaccination card or test result or by logging into a verification app used for events or travel (such as Clear to Go, CrowdPass, Verifly, EU Pass, My Bindle, etc.).
- Physical vaccination card or printed test result.
Proof of vaccination or COVID test must be in English and must be accompanied by the presentation of a photo ID.